Virtual  Dog  Cat
Search   

Go Back   Pet Health 101 for Dogs and Cats > Pet Behavior and Training
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2008, 08:58 PM

Unhappy Play Biting

I have and 11 month old siberian husky. It seems she constantly likes to play bite and it becomes annoying because she does this every day. I have pushed her from me when she starts doing this. I have sprayed my arm with bitter apples. My last resort is, buying a nozzle for her but it seems cruel to do that. She is very lovable and yet hyperactive. As a pup she plays hard and even though you try to stop her from play biting she thinks its a game.
What can you suggest. We bought her a months ago and it seems the original owner put and electric collar on her so she would not leave pass the electric boundary of her home. We love her and show a great deal of love to her. She is a great companion. We just want her to stop biting?

Kalena
Old 03-27-2008, 02:54 AM

she is play biting just to play with you she probably does not mean to bite hard.
but try when she try to bite you says no and turn a different way.or maybe have you ever tryed popping her on the nose and saying no
Old 05-30-2008, 02:46 PM

Default get serious-punching?

I raised a Pitbull. They are a notorious "mouthy" breed. I mimicked the high pitched yelp (that puppies use with each other in their games to let it be known they've had enough.) when she play bit me. Also, outside of play biting I trained her so that she did not bite at all. I would hold her mouth on my arm and apply a little pressure. Then I would yelp, tell her no and no mouth very sternly. While I do play tug-of-war, I do not allow anyone to play the box the mouth or any game that would encourage biting. When we play tug of war if her tooth grazes my finger she usually backs down and calms or I say mouth and she knows she was getting too excited.