Virtual  Dog  Cat
Search   

Go Back   Pet Health 101 for Dogs and Cats > Health Issues and Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2008, 10:30 AM

Unhappy Allergy or Bite?? How to tell?? Suggestions

I have a problem with my dog, and it starts around July, when the rainy season starts here in florida, and last till about september. He gets these bumps on his inner back thiegh's, and crotch area that look like pimples. red base and white head, they almost look like bite,I used advantix,and he never had any fleas on him, My vet says he thinks its a allergy,if its a allergy i dont see why he gets it in that one area where the hair is lightest, also the rest of the year I can walk him and he has no problems, he can even lay in the grass and have no porblems.. Is ther any whay to find out if this is a actuall allergy he is inhaleing, or if there is some kind of mite of something in the grass bitting him?? I tries benadryl, and the clemastine, didnt seem to effect it.. Im at a loss and it really upsets me, even though it seems to barely bother him.. Any suggestion you have i would really appreciate.. I tried benadryl and had no effect on the bumps..
Old 08-01-2008, 04:59 PM

Send a message via MSN to Daisyd
Default Don't know if this is the same......

I have a two year old beagle who came home the other day with what looked like blisters then turned red after I cleansed the area. From what I understand they are the starting of hotspots. Either way what I use on my dog is Chlorhexidine Shampoo. I put a little on a wet washcloth and wash the area with it and leave it on for 5 minutes, then I make sure I rinse out the cloth and remove the shampoo thoroughly. Dry the area good and put Neosporin antibiotic plus pain relief cream, you can get that in a generic or use any kind of spray or cream for hotspots. I think the cream or spray is better because I think ointment will hold in the moisture and moisture aggravates hotspots. He has responded well with this and it is clearing up nicely. My dog runs through weeds and tall grass a lot which can cause this type of irritation this time of year along with the heat.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:43 PM
Pet Health 101:
Director of Pharmacy Services

You've tried antihistamines and they have not worked. Doesn't mean this is not an allergy, but it certainly could be a different cause. I would recommend two things. First have your pet evaluated by another veterinarian just for the sake of a second opinion and secondly, you may want to consider allergy testing which will definitively rule allergy in or out.